The New Year is a natural time for new beginnings and I am certainly ready for a few. Last year was full of great joys, like welcoming Maxwell into our family, and deep sorrows, like losing my dad. As I live each day though I grow increasingly aware of how fast life truly does pass us by. I am well aware that I am about to turn 30 years old and cannot believe it really! I also cannot believe how fast my children are growing and changing. I am trying hard to be present in daily life, experience the divine in the ordinary and treasure these sweet children God has entrusted us with. With that being said, here are some things I am looking forward to doing in 2012.
1. I want to be consistent with taking family photos. I hope that getting a smaller point and shoot that I can still manually manipulate will help me capture every day family moments without feeling the pressure like I am "working." I know that the images I take today will be the ones that make me well up with tears 20 years from now.
2. Along with actually taking the photos, I would like to do a better job of recording our life through the pictures and journaling. I stumbled across Project Life Kits by Becky Higgins and I am intrigued. Anyone ever try these? Would love to hear it if you have!
3. I also want to commit to doing hiring a professional photographer to do a family photo session at least once a year, despite how I might feel about my own haircut, current weight, or otherwise. I believe treasuring the memories is worth saving up for and investing in.
4. I would like to do more scripture reading this year. It has really become a struggle since becoming a mother for me to do a consistent scripture reading. I have a neat little 52-week of scripture reading I got from my local MOPS group that I am going to do my best to accomplish this year. I need good input to have good output!
5. I always want to be learning, so I want to do at least one type of photography workshop in 2012. I was fortunate to do at least one in 2011 with Jeremy Cowart and also did lots of online learning via blogs and Creative Live.
6. I will also keep attempting to read at least one book per month of some variety, either novels, spiritual or parenting related. I know my mind needs constant training and stimulation to stay sharp.
7. I will attempt to be a better parent. The thing about parenting is that with every stage you are in new territory. You learn as you go, which can be very scary. Every day has triumphs and failures. I think the biggest thing for me is to remain patient and be consistent. Easy to say, hard to do!
8. I need to do creative inspired projects that are not work related. I need to start a photography project that's just for my own creative expression. Although I am short on free time for something like this, I am contemplating ideas and welcome suggestions for inspirations.
9. I have some business goals for 2012 for some areas I would like to step it up a notch. I am so thankful for my wonderful clients and hope to keep making people pleased with their investment in me. Running a business is a lot like parenting, constantly learning and never knowing if you're doing it right until you see the results...even then you still might not be sure. Just have to keep moving forward and trusting your instincts!
10. I need to focus on health for all of my family. I want to cultivate an active, healthy lifestyle for our family without being dogmatic about it. I want to get my running shoes back on a lot more consistently not only for weight loss but for the sheer enjoyment of it! I need to be healthy to be around for my kids and I also need to model health for them, which can seem a daunting task!
Happy New Year friends, here's to a wonderful 2012!